Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Christmas Gift for Rose by Tricia Goyer

I will admit I was a be apprehensive about reading this book. I've not read much, ok, any Amish books before, let alone a love story that focus on the Amish community and culture. I've lived most of my life in Amish country in the midwest and grew up with going to schools with several of them. I didn't know that there was such a thing as Amish love stories before. So with a skeptical heart I dug right into this book by Tricia Goyer. The book's focus is on Jonathan Fisher, a young Amish man that signed up to be a medic during the second world war and his heart's love Rose Yoder, who is struggling to find where she fits in the Amish community and her family.

What I loved about this book is it really does capture the spirit of the Amish in a true and realistic fashion. Too many times in the past in other works Amish are depicted in a cliche and stereotypical way. It was great to really see the culture and faith behind the Amish community. The author really brought this small Ohio Amish community to life. The characters stopped becoming just mere words on the page but became flesh and blood people to the reader, that were struggling to find their path and their personal belief.

Whether one is Amish or not, everyone has a time or even times in their life that they struggle with faith, with trying to find their path and just who and what we all are. It is a human struggle that is not just unique to the Amish, but to everyone. Both Jonathan and Rose have their own personal and inner struggles in trying to find just where they fit not only in the community, but in God's heart. I won't spoil anything but the author really created a very heart warming story of love, understanding and acceptance. This is the first book I've read by this author but I plan on checking out more works by her. This 'magical' book I would recommend to anyone that is wanting to see a love that is bound by not only faith in each, but in God's plan as well.

~ Darkling

No comments:

Post a Comment